What Happens When You Eat Too Many Gummy Vitamins

0

  • If you or your child have eaten too much candy vitaminsyou should call the poison control center immediately.
  • But you’re unlikely to need emergency help if you eat too many gummy vitamins.
  • Eating too many gummy vitamins can cause diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, or headaches.

Although unquestionably more palatable than ordinary vitamins, gummy vitamins make it difficult for children to tell the difference between them and candies. This can lead to unintentional overconsumption.

In reality, poison center report getting phone calls every day about kids eating large amounts of gummy vitamins – sometimes 20, 30 or even 40 at a time.

Here’s what happens when you or a child take too many gummy vitamins and whether you should see a doctor.

Can you overdose on gummy vitamins?

It is possible to take too many gummy vitamins, but often this does not warrant medical attention.

Gummy multivitamins contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, some of which are toxic in high doses and some of which are not. These include:

General Council : It is important to note that all gummy vitamins differ in terms of recommended dosage. To find out how many gummy vitamins are too many, carefully follow the instructions on the label.

Here’s a breakdown of common vitamins, how toxic they become, and how many gummy vitamins it would take to achieve that. toxicity point. It is important to note that this is just one example using two types of multivitamins (Nature Made Kids First for childrenand Nature Made multivitamin gummies for adults), but each multivitamin varies in terms of the amount and types of vitamins it contains. Therefore, the number of vitamins needed to reach toxic amounts varies depending on the product.

Nutrient AgeChildren: 4 to 8 years oldAdults: 19 years and over Upper limit How many gummy vitamins
Vitamin A ChildrenAdults 900 mcg3000 mcg 2.4 gummies4 gummies
Vitamin C ChildrenAdults 650MG2000MG 43 gummies66 gummies
Vitamin D ChildrenAdults US$3,000 US$4,000 6 gummies4 gummies
Vitamin E ChildrenAdults 300MG1000MG 44 gummies74 gummies

What happens if you eat too many gummy vitamins?

The side effects you may experience depend on the type of supplements in your gummy vitamins and how many you take.

Common symptoms for an overdose of vitamins are:

“Generally, you probably wouldn’t see any effect from a one-time overdose, but you should still call the poison control center,” says Susan B. Daly, MD, FAAP, pediatrician at To be pediatrics in Savannah, Georgia.

What to do if you or your child have consumed too many gummy vitamins

If you think you or your child have taken too many gummy vitamins, here are some steps Daly recommends you take:

  • Call poison control number immediately: (800) 222-1222.
  • Try to document how many vitamins were taken and what time your child ingested them. It’s also a good idea to have the child’s height and weight so that toxicity can be determined.
  • Follow Poison Control recommendations. They may even recommend that you take your child to the emergency room where they monitor symptoms and eliminate toxins.
  • To drink a lot of water

If your child has consistently taken more than the recommended dose of vitamin gummies for a long time, they may develop Chronic toxicitywhich justifies a visit to the doctor.

Signs of chronic toxicity include:

Insider’s Takeaways

Although the number of vitamins and minerals in children’s gummy vitamins should not cause a fatal overdose, caregivers should always treat ingestion of too many vitamins as an emergency and call the poison control center immediately for help. You should also keep gummy vitamins out of reach of children.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.