Are you the type of person who takes vitamins every day? If so, you might be wondering if it’s possible to overdose on it. The answer is yes – it is possible to overdose on vitamins, but it is rare.
Taking too many vitamins in most cases will lead to unpleasant side effects. However, some vitamins can be dangerous in high doses. Let’s look at vitamin overdose and how to avoid it.
Recommended doses for vitamins
It is worth noting that the recommended dose may vary depending on factors such as age, health status and lifestyle. Speak to your doctor or dietitian if you have any concerns about your vitamin intake. Here is a list of the most common vitamins with the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for adults.
Vitamin A helps with vision and immunity. The RDA for adults is 700 micrograms (mcg). Overdose can lead to vomiting, dizziness, headache and liver damage.
Vitamin C helps the functioning of the immune system and the absorption of iron. The RDA for adults is 75-90mg. An overdose of vitamin C can lead to gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea. It can also cause kidney stones.
Vitamin D helps absorb and use calcium, which is essential for bone health. An adult should take about 15 mcg per day. Vitamin D overdoses can cause kidney stones and calcium deposits in the heart and blood vessels.
Vitamin E protects cells from damage and prevents blood clots from forming in blood vessels. 15 mg per day is the RDA for adults, and too much vitamin E can cause blood clotting problems.
Vitamin K is necessary for blood clotting. An adult should take 80-100 mcg per day. Vitamin K overdoses can increase the risk of bleeding.
B vitamins help convert food into energy. They are vital for the proper functioning of cells and the nervous system. Here is a summary of RDAs for adults.
Vitamin B1 (thiamin): 1.2-1.5 mg
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): 1.3-1.7 mg
Vitamin B3 (niacin): 14-18 mg,
Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): 5 mg
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): 1.3-1.7 mg
Vitamin B7 (biotin): 30 mcg
Vitamin B9 (folic acid [folic acid]): 400 mcg
Vitamin B12 (cobalamin): 2.4 mcg
Taking megadoses of B vitamins can lead to liver and nerve damage.
Tips for avoiding a vitamin overdose
1. Do not take more than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of any vitamin.
2. Be especially careful with fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, which can build up in your body and become toxic if you take too much.
3. Check supplement labels to make sure they don’t contain more than 100% of the RDA for any vitamin or mineral.
4. If you take multiple supplements, check that you are not consuming too much of a nutrient.
5. Talk to your doctor before taking any supplements, especially if you have a medical condition or are taking medications that may interact with them.
If you’re concerned about a vitamin overdose, talk to your doctor. You can also try Better Family’s Sublingual vitamin. Our vitamins are the best available on the market. They are made with only the highest quality ingredients, with no unnecessary fillers, sugars or dyes.
Better Family Sublingual Vitamins are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. We also include the recommended daily allowance of essential micronutrients to ensure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need every day without overdosing.