Doctor delayed antibiotics for dying Melbourne mother, court hears

Annie Moylan’s obstetrician knew there was a golden hour to administer antibiotics for sepsis, but it took longer for the Pregnant mom to get the medicine she needed.

The 37-year-old died of multiple organ failure caused by the infection hours after delivering her stillborn baby and less than 24 hours after falling ill in August 2017.

Another obstetrician earlier prescribed rest and paracetamol when she reported symptoms of gastroenteritis, but when her condition did not improve, Moylan went to private Holmesglen Hospital.

Annie O’Brien, pregnant mum, died at Holmesglen Private Hospital. (Provided)

When her membranes ruptured spontaneously at 18 weeks, she was rushed to St Vincent’s Private Hospital where her own obstetrician, Dr Vicki Nott, was due to meet her.

Dr Nott arrived around 1:30 a.m. – more than an hour after Moylan – and immediately diagnosed with sepsis.

She told an inquest into Moylan’s death on Thursday that there was a golden hour – a principle that antibiotics should be administered within an hour of a diagnosis of sepsis.

Dr. Nott admitted to prioritizing delivering the baby over giving the antibiotics.

Moylan didn’t get his first dose until 2:46 a.m.

The drugs were only administered when midwife Raechel Miller, who had been with Moylan since his arrival at 12:15 a.m., noticed the syringe lying on a bedside table.

She didn’t know who ordered it or who put it there, but immediately asked Dr. Nott whether to give it to her and then administer the dose.

Pregnant mum, Annie Moylan went to Holmesglen Private Hospital and never came home. (Provided)

Miller said she wondered when Moylan arrived if she even had to be there because she was so sick.

“We wouldn’t normally have a patient appearing like that on the ward. I wondered in my mind if that was where Annie should be,” she said.

Almost an hour later, Miller found a syringe containing a dose of a second antibiotic that had not been administered.

Moylan had already been moved to theater by then, said Ms Miller who was unaware the drug had even been ordered.

Moylan’s father, retired GP Brian Moylan, acknowledged the distress the young midwife had experienced caring for his daughter.

Miller has since changed careers.

“Personally, the impact of this event meant that I was unable to continue working as a midwife or nurse, despite my efforts to do so,” she said.

Annie Moylan died in hospital. (Provided)

“It was an incredibly traumatic experience.”

In an expert opinion, Professor Mark Umstad said Moylan had the classic symptoms of sepsis.

“There is an unexpected delay in the timely initiation of antibiotics, both at Holmesglen Private Hospital and upon arrival at St Vincent’s Private Hospital,” he wrote in a submission to the coroner. of State John Cain.

“Given that Moylan was clearly septic and ill, I am unable to determine the reason for the delay.”


About Author

Comments are closed.