What happens if you take too much of these vitamins and minerals?

0

According to National Institutes of Health (NIH), copper is a mineral that everyone needs to stay healthy. The body uses copper to help with essential functions such as energy creation, connective tissues and blood vessels. Copper is also needed for maintaining the nervous and immune systems, brain development, and even gene activation. You can get copper from a wide variety of food sources, such as beef liver, oysters, cashews, sunflower seeds, chocolate, wheat bran cereals, grain products whole potatoes, mushrooms, avocados, chickpeas and even tofu, per NIH. However, copper can also be consumed as a dietary supplement.

The amount of copper a person needs varies with age, increasing with age. For example, babies only need 200 mcg, while teenagers 14 to 18 should get 890 mcg. Adults over 19 need 900 mcg, while teens and nursing women should consume 1,000 mcg. Still, according to the outlet, large amounts of copper can be harmful to health.

WebMD says people concerned about copper toxicity should watch out for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever or chills, muscle weakness, pain or burning around the abdominal area, lack of urine, yellowing of the eyes and skin or taste metallic in the mouth.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.